Wednesday, December 9, 2009


I LOVE this song. I first heard it at BYU when the video below was played during a class I was taking (the video below is from the choirs at BYU sometime during the 90's). Mack Wilberg was the director of the BYU choirs at that time. While I was at BYU I participated in an awesome stake choir that was directed by a man who knew Mack Wilberg I think, anyways, he had us do several of the Mack Wilberg arrangements of songs that had previously been used by the BYU choirs. That was a really amazing experience...I remember doing Come Thou Fount in stake conference with accompaniment by quite a lot of instruments (not just piano or organ). I always feel the Spirit when I hear or sing it. The words are very compelling when you listen to what the song is saying. Ever since then I have loved this song, and it also brings back memories of that time period at BYU so it is doubly special.

Then, shortly after my stake choir experience, Mack Wilberg became one of the directors for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. So now they do the cool arrangements that he did originally for the BYU choirs at General Conference and what not. Of course I was never involved with the real BYU choirs or anything, but I feel a connection to these arrangements and songs because of stake choir - so it is really cool to hear the Tabernacle Choir sing them.
Did I mention I love this song :)

P.S. Pardon the 90's hair and big earrings in the video... watch it anyways...this is my all time favorite version of the song.

No comments: